Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Secret Identity

It's pretty cool when the person others see isn't who you really are. By day I work as an administrative assistant at an accounting office. Been this way for the last ten years. During the evenings I--like Batman, Spiderman and the all time classic--Superman--have a secret identity which pretty much sums up who I really am 24/7--a Chef. In March 2008 I graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education after completing my externship at Le Bernardin. As of Sept 2008 I became a chef instructor at Rustico Cooking in Midtown Manhattan. Here, a close knit of us teach hands on cooking classes to corporate and private parties. I also serve as a chef's assistant and instructor at Camaje--a bistro in downtown Manhattan offering cooking classes during operating hours of its restaurant. As if this isn't enough, I also teach children ranging from 4 to 13 years of age at the Young Chefs Academy in Forest Hills. Aside from this, I do freelance catering at Hudson Yards Catering in NYC. Okay, so perhaps my schedule is a bit intense, but whose isn't. Plus, when you really love what you do it doesn't feel like work, it's just who you are....even if the truth remains a bit of a secret to some. Admit it, wasn't half the fun behind Clark Kent was knowing that underneath those dark bulky glasses lied a super hero.

No comments: