Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spotlight Volunteer....City Harvest Chose Me!!!

A few weeks ago I was interviewed for Operation Frontline's Newsletter as a Spotlight Volunteer!!!  Please read my City Harvest interview below:

From The Frontline
Operation Frontline New York City – A Program of Share Our Strength and City Harvest

W I N T E R 2 0 1 0 IN THIS EDITION
VOLUNTEER S P O T L I G H T
OFL Chef Raquel Rivera

How did you hear about City Harvest?
I first heard of City Harvest during my externship at Le Bernardin. Chef Ripert has certificates hung up downstairs and he even offered a City Harvest menu.  This made me look into the organization further and I was pleasantly surprised and eager to become a part of it!

There are a lot of other non-profit organizations in New York City, why did you choose City Harvest?
I love the fact that City Harvest offers instant results. When you donate your time, money, or food you know it is going to immediately help a person in need.

What classes have you instructed?
I have done In the Mix and Eating Right and am eager to facilitate or serve as a chef in the Side By Side
series next!

What was your best class experience?
All the classes leave me with a sense of accomplishment. However when I taught In the Mix at the Food and Finance High School I loved the fact that I was teaching teens who were aspiring to be chefs. Being able to be a part of their culinary journey made me feel wonderful. It also made me realize how much I enjoyed teaching others to cook, soon after I began to do teach professionally.

What advice would you give future OFL volunteers?
My advice is to not let the distance or neighborhood discourage you from volunteering. It is true that some of the locations are out of reach but trust in the fact that your travels would be well worth your efforts and may even open you up to a whole new world and perception.

Raquel, your passion for what you do is evident.

Thank You!

City Harvest 575 Eighth Avenue 4th Fl. New York, NY 10018 917.351.8700 www.cityharvest.org

No comments: