Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In a blink it's over...Validus 5x2

Today is Wednesday. Two weeks ago this time I was prepping my girls at Validus High School for their yearend 5x2 celebration. This week I'm already missing them and thinking how quickly our weeks of cooking classes went by. On Friday, June 11th my girls worked hard on decorating, and prepping ingredients for their big event! The goal of the 5x2 Celebration is to have students show other students the things they learned in class. Classes at Validus vary from art, dance, music, theatre and in Dr. Shango's and my case, cooking and they are all hands-on! On this night a large percentage of the school comes to view, taste and enjoy some of the samples offered by fellow students. My class provided samples of yogurt parfait (strawberries, blueberries, homemade granola and yogurt) and a salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes and other fixings, dressed with a pineapple vinaigrette. Dr. Shango's class prepared smoothies, homemade fruit drinks and ambrosia (delicious!) Clearly the students of the school enjoyed themselves and so did we. I watched students dance, play instruments, tell stories, eat and more importantly take pride in what they were presenting. I also couldn’t help but remember my high school years, the good, the bad and the ugly! Fortunately the students here have the ability to express themselves with little restriction and an abundance of guidance. Together they made this event a success. To me they wouldn't have it any other way.

At the end of the program Jamie-who btw did an AWESOME job making this event possible-rewarded us teachers with a t-shirt that in so little words said a mouthful about the dedication we offered.

Thank you everyone at Validus for inviting me into your school and allowing me to share my love of cooking and teaching with your students. Look forward to next semester! And girls please do keep in contact!

No comments: