Many of you enjoyed the pasta demoed at July’s Black Rock cooking demo so here is the recipe! This is a synch to put together, it embodies seasonal ingredients and can transport to a picnic or bbq with no hassle. Questions? Email me at Raquel@apinchofsalt.com
Whole Wheat Pesto Penne w/ Zucchini, Summer Squash & Wild Arugula
Ingredients:Pesto Sauce, preferably homemade
1 16oz box of Whole Wheat Penne
1 zucchini, diced into half moons
1 summer squash, diced into half moons
1 bunch of wild arugula
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large pasta pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt and then pasta. Stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions.
2. When pasta is ready, reserve about ½ cup of pasta water then drain completely.
3. While warm coat with pesto sauce. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile in a saute pan add about 1 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil to pan. Add in zucchini and squash and cook until tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in the arugula. Mix well.
5. Add the vegetables to the pasta and mix well. Adjust salt & pepper or sprinkle in parmesan cheese. Serve warm, cold or better yet room temperature!
Not sure how to make a Nut-Free Pesto:
1. In a food processor add 1 bunch of basil leaves, garlic cloves and drizzle in extra virgin olive oil. Give it a whirl adding more olive oil or garlic until you get the consistency or taste you prefer. Don’t forget a pinch of salt!
Want nuts? Try adding almonds, pine nuts, or walnuts
Where's the cheese? You are better off adding the cheese once the pesto is out of the food processor. This way the cheese punch is flavorful and fresh. The heat of the blades affects the cheese.