Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An Apple A Day....


I have never been apple picking. Actually, I am not really a fan of apples, but still I have never been apple picking. This weekend that all changed! Alex, his mom and I went to Masker Orchards in Warwick, NY. And the weather was an absolutely perfect October day!

When we arrived I was under the impression that it would be a bit more luxurious. I guess I imagined trees filled with a variety of apples just waiting to be picked, not to mention nice ground to walk on and apples all within arms reach. Okay, who was I kidding. Instead, we had to walk up hills and dirt paths and wander around for apples and then plan an attack on how we were going to reach them. In fact, we witnessed a couple--who were obviously masters at this--using twine to grab the apples from the very top of the tree. Either way, after a few minutes you get passed all the pitfalls and the search for apples becomes an adventure!

Masker Orchards has a nice variety of apples available: McIntosh, Cortlands, Jonagolds, Mutsu to name a few. Unfortunately, a lot of these varieties were already picked by time we reached. So we began filling our bag with the abundance of red delicious that surrounded us. After about an hour we were going to exit when we noticed a section with pony rides, face paintings, refreshments, and a little store to buy honey, apple butter etc. We strolled through this area and watched the children enjoy and the parents snacking on apple pie. Shortly after we left with our bag filled with apples. We paid the clerk, and then added a half gallon of apple cider to our order and on the road we went--no longer a non apple picker!

However, it is now Tuesday, and I have been sending Alex to work with an apple a day and my apples haven't budged....guess I have a apple pie, apple clafouti and apple sauce in my near future!

No comments: